Pages

Monday, August 01, 2011

Go Green or Go Home

  Today I made my first green juice.  Yay me!  Did I mention I don't have a juicer?  How did I do it, you ask?  Well, I've learned that you can juice fruits and vegetables without a juicer, it just takes a little longer.  I used my blender to blend all of the ingredients and then I strained them through a sieve.  So it was more work but definitely worth it.  Through this process I learned two things: 1. I will definitely be investing in a Vitamix and a Juicer in the future and 2. I love Green Juice! For now my little blender will have to pull double duty.
   In case you are wondering, juicing is super healthy!  It is the fastest and easiest way to get all that nutritional goodness into our system.  When you juice you use more fruits and vegetables then you can actually eat in one sitting.  And by separating the fiber from the fruit or vegetable we have access to all the amazing vitamins, minerals and enzymes, which get absorbed that much quicker than if we were to actually eat the fruits and veggies.  Why green, you ask?  Well, making the juice green is especially good for us.  nerd alert--> Chlorophyll delivers a stack of nutrients and oxygen to the body helping to build red blood cells, boost the immune system, detoxify the body, alkalize blood pH, and improve circulation. (Wow!)  So the question is really, why not green? 


Here's the green juice that I made:

This juice looked so pretty I couldn't resist drinking it out of a fancy glass.


Recipe adapted from: Polly Noble's 7 Day Quickstart
1 zucchini
1/2 cucumber
2 apples
1/2 lime
3 large kale leaves (or use whatever leafy greens you have)

Place the lime, cucumber, zucchini, kale and apples through the juicer.  If you don't have a juicer put everything in a high speed blender and then strain through a sieve and drink immediately. 

nerd alert--> Juice tends to oxidize quickly so it's best to drink juice as soon as possible after you make it.

Happy juicing!
Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...