Pages

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

So... what do you EAT?

   I hear this question A LOT.  Today I was talking to a supply teacher at work and somehow it came up.  And by it I mean my cruelty-free diet.  Immediately that question popped out of her mouth.  "So then... what do you eat?"  I don't mind it, in fact, I might have asked that question myself once upon a time (had I ever met anyone on a plant-based diet).  Our life seems to revolve around animal based foods, or at least we think it does.  When I step back and assess everything I eat, I am SO not deprived of anything.  I eat yummy foods all day long and even make lots of delicious and healthy desserts.  So, lucky for you (ha!), I take photos of everything I make.  Here is a sampling of what I ate one day a couple of weeks ago.  Am I deprived?  You be the judge.

Breakfast: chia seeds with Almond Milk, and berries
OR: a green smoothie.. (or purple!).  Blackberries will do that. Ha!

Lunch: Veggie wraps with collards and sprouts.
Snack/Dessert: One of these RAW oatmeal cookies with a coffee.  YUM!
Dinner: Vegan Caprese Salad. Heirloom tomatoes, Daiya cheese and Basil.
RAW 'pasta' with zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, and other goodies!
Such a satisfying meal!  Who says you need any meat?
For the Breakfast:
Chia Pudding
(Measurements are approximate)
2-3 tbsp Chia Seeds
100-150ml Almond Milk (or any nut milk)
2 tbsp Goji Berries
1/2 cup of Blueberries (or any other berry/fruit)
Instructions:
Add all of the ingredients to a bowl, give it a stir, and let sit for a few minutes.  *Chia seeds are super cool because they become gelatinous when wet.* The longer they sit the thicker the 'pudding' becomes.  Really though, I don't have that much time in the mornings so I pour everything in a bowl, give it a stir and then chug my water with lemon.  By the time I'm done I'm ready to eat my chia pudding.  
FYI:  You can eat it right away, I just like it softer.  I was like that with cereal too, the mushier the better!  Sometimes I make it the night before and leave it in the fridge.  Try it!

*No animals were harmed in the making of these meals... except for maybe the dog who didn't get any scraps. Ha!

Happy cooking (or uncooking!)
Love,
Ves xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...