Pages

Thursday, January 05, 2012

"Do You Get to Open Presents?"

I'm dreaming of a White Christmas (tree!)
    So I've just made a connection between veganism and religion.  "Huh?", you say.  Okay, before you freak out, just hear me out for a sec.  Being vegan is kind of like being Serbian Orthodox.  No one really knows what's going on but, they are so concerned with what you can and can't do (or eat, for that matter).  Well, my family happens to be Serbian Orthodox, which means we celebrate Christmas on January 7th... which means that Christmas Eve is tomorrow!  Eek!!
   It's funny but people who have known me for years are still asking me questions like, "do you guys do a big dinner"?  "Do you open gifts"?  Um... it's the same thing just a different date!!  Of course we have a huge dinner (both nights!) and open gifts (duh!) and have family over (hello!).  Imagine.  A holiday without food and family?  Who would do such a thing?  Okay, I know what you're thinking: SARCASM OVERLOAD.  It's been that kind of day, though.  Did I mention that these people KNOW me?  I thought so.
   Anyway, in all seriousness, I can't wait for tomorrow and Saturday.  This is my first Christmas as a vegan, but really, I never ate much of the meat anyway (my family roasts a whole pig for Christmas dinner).  But, I LOVE cabbage rolls and you better believe that I'll be veganizing them this year!  I can't wait to see (taste) how they turn out!  I'll share the recipe with you after I taste test and make sure that they are awesome!  In the meantime, here is another recipe...
   Last week I promised you guys the recipe to my semi-raw Beehive Cookies.  Here it is:

Beehive Cookies
For the base:
1⁄2 cup pecans 
1⁄2 cup almonds (soaked)
1⁄2 cup coconut (shredded)
1⁄4 cup raw cacao powder
1 tsp sea salt to taste
1 cup medjool dates (this amount is approximate.)

Place the pecans and almonds into the food processor and grind until broken down. Add in the coconut, salt, and cacao powder and process again.  Add dates slowly until your mixture starts to stick together. You should be able to form balls in the palm of your hand.

For the Lemon Kream Filling:
1 cup cashews (soaked for 2 hours or overnight)
1 – 2 juice of lemon
2 Tbsp Agave Nectar
1/4 - 1⁄2 cup water

Blend in a high speed blender until smooth.

1-2 wafer sheets

*If you have the beehive molds; roll the base into a walnut sized ball, mold it into the beehive shell, fill it with a small amount of cashew kream, and seal it with a wafer sheet.

**If you DON'T have the beehive molds, fear not!  You can still enjoy these cookies!  Simply roll them into bite-size balls and drizzle with some cashew kream.
OR
Roll them into balls and then flatten them into cookie rounds.  Ice them with the lemon kream and enjoy, or keep them in the freezer until you are ready to eat them.  The possibilities are endless, so have fun!

Have a great weekend, and Merry Christmas to everyone who is celebrating this weekend!
Love,
Ves xx

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ves, how were your cabbage rolls? I recently made them for the first time, and the first time I've had them in 19 years. Never have I had them as a vegetarian. I don't know why! They are awesome, if I do say so myself! Gen thinks so too. Find them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cabbage rolls were awesome! We make them differently than some people do. We don't use fresh cabbage, we use pickled and we never add tomato sauce. My mom makes the cabbage rolls and no one can come close to duplicating them - so I didn't bother. Instead she just gave me some of the filling before she added the meat and I sauteed it with some Tempeh and her seasonings. When the cabbage rolls were done they tasted exactly as I remembered them! Thanks for asking and I will definitely have to check out your cabbage rolls! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...