Pages

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Vegan MoFo #2 Summer Obsessions

Hi Friends!

   Today I was thinking about passion in the workplace and for a while there I felt like I had lost a little bit of the love I had for my job.  Do you ever feel that way?  Like some day's it's just hard to remember what you loved about it in the first place?  Well, at my 9-5 I get to work with children so I don't necessarily forget... but, at the same time, the spark I once felt has been slowly fizzling away.  I have so many other things that I am passionate about that I stopped putting extra effort into my day job.  Thankfully, I was able to take a nice break from work this summer and just focus on relaxing.  And not only did I take a vacation from work, but I also took a vacation from thinking about the million other things that I'd like to accomplish.  It's such a relief to just be able to press pause on everything and to focus only on yourself.  I really feel like this summer helped to refresh and rejuvenate me and my brain (ha!).  My coworker and I have been dreaming up big plans for our classrooms and we finally get to start implementing them this week.  I can't wait to get started.  In fact, we stayed late at work just to draw up the plans, and I'm happy to say that the passion I once had for my job is coming back. Woohoo!

But enough about that... let's get to the fun stuff... or as I like to call it:  My Summer Obsessions!

Veggie Burger Bliss! 
    One of my favorite things to make this summer has been veggie burgers.  Homemade or store-bought I have to have them on hand at all times!  I love knowing that there are veggie burgers in my freezer for those nights that I'm too exhausted to cook or I've come home late and want something quick.  I rarely use a bun but I found these delicious sprouted buns at my natural food store and so it's fun to use them once in a while.  The brand that I have is from Silver Hills Sprouted Bakery.  You can click on the link to check them out.

Field Roast Heaven!
    My other food obsession has been hotdogs of all things!  I am so not a hotdog person but my natural foods store finally starting carrying Field Roast Sausages.  I have been dying to try them since becoming vegan over two and a half years ago and I have to say that they were worth the wait.  Have you guys tried them?  They are so good!  Nothing like the soy alternative that was my only option.  These are made using grains and all natural ingredients.  So far I've had the Smoked Apple Sage sausage and the frankfurters.  Next up I plan on trying the Mexican Chipotle sausages.  If you haven't experienced Field Roast you really should.  However, stay away from them if you have a gluten intolerance because they are made using wheat gluten.


My other summer obsessions include:

   Sissiboo Coffee!  I love this coffee and the philosophy behind the company.  They are a small-batch roaster offering fair trade and organic beans.  You can purchase their freshly ground or whole beans at local Farmer's Markets and shops in Halifax, Annapolis Royal, Yarmouth and Weymouth.  Yup, only in Nova Scotia.  But, I think I saw that you can order online and they will ship to you.  This coffee is so worth it!

   Spending time with my sis!  Well, it's not really an obsession, but we have been spending a lot of time together so I though it was worth adding!

   And finally, here are just a few songs that I've been obsessively repeating on my iPod during the past couple of months:

Awolnation - Thiskidsnotalright

New Politics - Harlem

Kings of Leon - Super Soaker

Lorde - Royals

The Neighborhood - Afraid

Bastille - Pompeii

Grouplove - Ways to Go

   There are so many songs that I could have added to this list but these are the ones that get the most play right now.  And, I just realized that I didn't list any fun "upbeat" songs.  Ha!  Believe it or not all of the songs on this list make me dance around while I'm cooking, cleaning, or getting ready to go somewhere.  No joke.  Well, all of them except Royals and Afraid. 

By the way, recipes are coming very soon.  I promise!

Til next time....

Love,
Ves xx

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a relaxing summer full of yummy foods! Going back to school after summer break can be bittersweet but it's always good to find ways to rejuvenate going back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The veggie burgers & Field Roast sausages all look so delicious! I've only tried the Smoked Apple Sage so far, but it was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...